The Somerset Hospital in Green Point opened in 1864 and has been declared a national monument. It was named after Lord Charles Somerset the governor of the Cape Colony who gave land for the construction. The 17th of August 2009 marked the 150th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of the New Somerset Hospital.
Green Point Urban Park
The Green Point Urban Park opened in 2011 and has become a favourite place for greenpointers to enjoy the outdoors. The park includes a fitness gym for outdoor training, play parks for children, a beautiful biodiversity garden, cycle tracks, lawns where one can play football, cricket etc. Entrance is free and is open from sunrise to sunset.
The building was erected in 1860 near the site where the Dutch East India Company battery Kyk-in-de-pot originally stood, and was named in honour of Lieutenant-General RH Wynyard, the then Lieutenant-Governor of the Cape Colony. The battery was dismantled between 1825 and 1827, and underwent some refurbishment in 1890. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 5 April 1973. In 1992 the fort became the new headquarters of the Cape Garrison Artillery.
Green Point Common
The Green Point Common is one of the few areas of Cape Town which, like Rondebosch Common, has remained largely undeveloped for centuries. The Green Point Common has maintained its original function as public open space with fields for sport and recreation and is home to the new Cape Town Stadium, built for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
Green Point Lighthouse
Green Point lies on the slopes of Signal Hill with magnificent views of Table Bay.
Locals and tourists flock to the top of Signal hill to view the beautiful summer and winter sunsets, bringing picnics and enjoying this beautiful area and views.