The building was erected in 1860 near the site where the Dutch East India Company battery Kyk-in-de-pot originally stood, and was named in honour of Lieutenant-General RH Wynyard, the then Lieutenant-Governor of the Cape Colony. The battery was dismantled between 1825 and 1827, and underwent some refurbishment in 1890. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 5 April 1973. In 1992 the fort became the new headquarters of the Cape Garrison Artillery.